How Louw Bros Plumbing became no.1 in the no.2 business
Although plumbing is often overlooked as simply another dirty job, it is an essential service that requires a great deal of skill and experience. Brothers Hunter and Bronson Louw started Louw Bros Plumbing in 2017 when they realised there was a gap in the Cape Town market. While novices at the time, they were determined to become the best in their neighbourhood. They started out as a humble team of two and gradually grew their business into a thriving company of more than 20 trained specialists in plumbing, drainage and leak detection.
We asked them how they did it and if they had any advice for someone starting out in the industry. Here’s what they had to say.
1. Be honest with yourself, your staff and clients at all times: Integrity is essential to not only building trust with your clientele but your team and business partners. Having a sound reputation will also help you establish a loyal client base who will jump to refer your business to others the first chance they get.
2. Continually work to improve your skill set: In practical jobs like plumbing, your skills are your product. As with any product on the market, your skills need to be upgraded on a regular basis so as to stay relevant and in demand. Enrol in courses, host workshops for your team and ensure that your staff are constantly learning and growing.
3. Get your hands dirty: As your business expands, the quality of your service can be compromised. That’s why it’s important to always be involved in your business’s daily operations as well as in the communities you work. By being on-site and speaking with your clients directly, you can create valuable relationships and ensure that your employees are upholding your standards.
4. Praise your team: Employees are the backbone of any business. While it’s crucial to push them to the best they can be, it’s equally as important to acknowledge their progress. Make sure your team feel valued and reward their hard work when you see it.
5. Stick to your guns: With people constantly needing plumbing services, competition in the industry is unrelenting. When you first start out, it’s vital that you don’t let the criticism of others deter you from your goals and values. Stay true to yourself and keep your eye on the prize.
By ensuring that their team is continually growing and improving, the Louw brothers have been able to build a thriving business of specialists from the ground up. “What makes Louw Bros special is our quality workmanship,” Hunter says. To find out more about Louw Bros Plumbing and the various services they offer, visit their website or read our blog post on their awe-inspiring business journey.
Do you have a business story that you would like us to hear about? Send us a message on Instagram, Facebook or LinkedIn to be part of our Local Business Spotlight campaign. You can also email us on email@example.com.