5 Signs You Are A Hoarder And How To Stop
Do you have a cupboard full of clothes that are no longer in fashion or piles of dirty clothes on the floor? Coffee tables full of old magazines? Is one of your rooms designated the ‘storage’ room, maybe it’s your garage? Here are a few simple steps to take to get your space back and keep your home clean.
1. Start in one room and work on it for as long as it takes. Sometimes cleaning out the kitchen will take a few hours each day for a couple of weeks. It is important to finish each room one at a time to give you a sense of accomplishment and keep your decluttering efforts organised.
2. Check out your kitchen. There are bound to be appliances in there that you will repair “one day.” Now is the time to trash it or donate it. Often you will go through old spice racks or tins of food and find they have been there for years. Time for those to go as well.
3. Linen closets and medicine cabinets are great places to find old medication to throw away. It is unsafe to have outdated medicines in your home and cleaning out your bathroom cupboards will allow more space to store the things you really need.
4. Get ruthless! Remember the goal here is to remove clutter so ask yourself, “Do I really need this?” It is easy to get an emotional attachment to items we have had for a long time. If you really can’t let go you can always keep it in your self storage unit. This will allow you to free your home of extra clutter that you don’t normally use.
5. Stop hoarding! Do you still have the box that your old computer came in? How about the packaging for kitchen appliances or your vacuum cleaner. Now is the time to ask yourself if you ever going to use these boxes? It is a great idea to put the items you want to keep but don’t often use into these boxes and then put them into your self storage unit. Two birds with one stone.
Your home should be the place you go to relax and unwind. Making sure it is clean and clutter free will restore your energy and enthusiasm levels. Need space? Get your quote here or call us on 0861 18 18 18.